Friday, August 25, 2006

MySpace: The Magazine

Life's funny. I had a long drunken discussion with a visiting friend about the benefits of MySpace and the awesome leveraging power Old Man Murdoch bought when he purchased MySpace. Then I get into work and check my Mediaposts like I do every morning and low and behold: There's talk of publishing a MySpace magazine.

This is a brilliant idea. The executive quoted in the article is understandably concerned about "damaging the MySpace brand." I don't think this should be too much of a concern. Here's why: The two little words "My" and "Space" provoke hysterical reactions from parents already concerned about sexual predators. And art/design type also tend to shudder when they hear those words. Let's face it. The site is hideous -garish wallpaper, unbidden music auto-starting, poor spelling, text talk...

It's almost like Fox in a way: Massive, crude, either loved or hated and entirely unstoppable.

Of course, if they are concerned about protecting the MySpace brand there's always something else they could try: How about publishing a magazine that isn't crap? That could work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home